Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

I'm far to cool to really understand the difference

Being the partial nerd that I am, I have often had the "which is better" debate with a Mac owner. All of my discussions either end up in a fist fight or both of us agree to disagree. However I find the whole debate quite tiresome. Mac supporters need to understand that their shiny white Mac Book is as much of a fashion statement as it is a tool. PC owners need to stop being so stubborn and accept that Mac is not a piece of shit that can't do anything.

I have noticed one trend in this whole divide. Mac owners tend to be individuals who were not previously interested in Computers and only later in life did they see the need for their entrance into the digital world. I have never met a PC user that has switched to Mac, thou I have met a few Mac owners who traded their white screen computers for a Desktop PC.

I don't doubt the fact that Mac has the huge advantage of being nearly immune to viruses, this alone makes Apple's products quite attractive. Along with their marketing alignment with the "cool crowd" Mac has often tempted me to sell my little brother for a Mac Pro.

I have often roamed the IStore in amazement of Steve Jobs's brilliant products. It is here that I have found Apple's weakness. A Mac Book costs R11 000. It is this price difference that has allowed Microsoft to dominate the market. For the same price I could buy a laptop that Dicks on any Mac Book and still have enough money for Sushi afterwards. If a Mac Book was R6000 I would happily be the owner of the "cool" computer.

I consider myself to sit on the fence with the whole Mac vs PC debate, as I think Apple has brilliant products and their marketing strategy is just as impressive. My IPod (thanks Shireen) is my best friend and I would love to be the owner of a shiny new IPad. However, I cannot bring myself to pay what I feel is close to double what the products are worth.

I do feel that Microsoft has been the norm in everyone's life and because of this they have become some what bored of the product. Microsoft's Vista operating system was such a mess that even the hardened PC user was tempted to make the forbidden switch. Thankfully, Microsoft discontinued the useless operating system and released Windows 7 which I feel is their best yet.

In the end it comes down to what work you want to do. Designers are inclined to lean towards the shinny white screen Macintosh, while programmers and gamers are loyal PC users. Mac will continue to convince trendy kids that Mac is the way. However, PC has what I believe to be the trump card. PC is the exclusive controller of the gaming industry and the gaming industry is to computers what the Military is to modern technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment