Pages

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Ayoba!

So last night was the opening game of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. As expected the entire country went fucking crazy. I heard a "ship jumper" who gave up on the Rainbow Nation years ago and relocated to the criminal country of Australia express his disbelief towards, firstly the unity in this country and the infrastructure that we have built in order to host the biggest sport event in the world. That makes me feel really good, in a "I told you so kinda way", South Africa hasn't gone to the dogs like so many people expected and in fact, we are in a better place then we were when  so many people felt the need to run to the far far away paradise. Don't get me wrong everyone has their opinion and can live where they want, but right now South Africa is the place to be.

Anyway, so South Africa drew to Mexico 1-1 and made the Mexican Team play catch up. We played great Soccer, the difference in out Football is easily seen. Maybe the 500 Billion Rand we spent on Carlos Alberto Parreira might actually pay off. I watched the game at the local keg in Boskruin. We Initially wanted to go to the Sandton Fan park, but that was full at 9am and I only woke up at 12. So the keg was the next best thing. The vibe was absolutely amazing and as every South African will know that we were united last night. Our forefathers thought it was impossible, but South Africa was a cohesive unit last night, a unit that did not see color, but rather pride in one's homeland. The rest of the world does not really understand how important this event is firstly for South Africa and secondly Africa. So basically this post is my way of taunting all of the people that could have been in South Africa now, but are sitting in some far way land, slowly loosing their heritage and really wishing that they could have a Black Label Draught(yes we have that now) and a Wors roll. Sorry guys.

I'm going to a party this eve called Balkanology. It sounds like a pretty rad event and I have a feeling that I might just watch the African sunrise tomorrow morning. I also hope I win the Miniature Camel statue. I hope so..

No comments:

Post a Comment