Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The world needs more Dirt, its awfully clean outside

Friday nights have become increasingly mundane of late, Everyone is either gearing up for exams and thus try trick themselves into believing that they are responsible or everyone is getting old and boring and consider themselves to mature to have a good time. I decided I would defy this convention and thus I would go out to watch an old favorite of mine "The Death Valley Blues Band"

After dinner with the folks (yes on a Friday night but in my defense it was my mothers birthday), I got dropped off at the bohemian by my ever generous brother. After navigating the Bohemian's doggy manager and being forced to pay R50 for two bands (one That I didn't care for), I was inside probably the most underrated venue in Joburg.

To my relief I arrived during Death Valley's first song and could at least enjoy the majority of their set. Death Valley Blues Band is a vital part of the impregnation of the women in our community. If it is not Kevin S Flee seducing our women, its his hoarse vocals and rhythm guitar that help's hopeless men get laid. He reminds me of an evil father Christmas that use's the blues to deal his evil doings. Standing at the back of the tiny Bohemian stage is Umpie OmO, and to an uneducated music listener he is just a good trumpet player but to anyone who knows anything about anything, he is one of godfathers of South African music, he entertained your older brothers and sisters with the munky punk of Boo!(who are doing a reunion tour, praise the musical gods) and then caused you to jump around in a circle with the Ska masters of Fuzigish. Brad Downs fill's the lead guitar role and his mixture of slide prowess and soulful licks are all part of the baby making magic. I would love to list all the members of DVBB, but we all know that they have over ten thousand members and I would surely bore you.

Death Valley Blues Band played a mixture of original and cover songs(Im still singing Gloria a 5 days later) and as some say like Cocaine they are a guaranteed good time. Up next was "NewTown". I remembered watching them at the Bohemian a few years back and I was vaguely interested to see how they had come along.

Unfortunately there was very little New about "NewTown". Don't get me wrong they are a talented bunch of musicians who would do excellently playing at the barnyard theater, but in that lie's their weakness. All their music give's you the distinct feeling that you have heard it before. Their delivery of their music was excellent, possibly tighter then Death Valley. But I couldn't fight off the constant feeling that they would do better with sheet music in front of them.After a few songs I lost interest and so did the majority of the crowd. Originality apparently does hold some value amongst the music fans that filled the Bohemian that night.

On a whole a good night out, the door price was a bit steep for two bands but I guess they have got to pay the bills some way or another. The Bohemian never fails in providing cheap booze, cheap pizza and good time's. My night went pear shaped afterwards, but thats a whole new story for another time.  
          

No comments:

Post a Comment