Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

So you think you can bat?



Cricket is a Summer Sport right? I've always wondered why? Winter Sunday's have never failed to produce a great afternoon for bloke and binnet alike. Cricket player's even wear long pants and jerseys if the occasion requires..... Oh yes, I remember why. If you don't live in either Australia or South Africa it's too flippen poes cold to step outside during Winter, never mind be active. I bet you didn't think about that when you moved to England now did you? ey...

Emmarentia Dam is famous for it's dog friendly area and the Music Festivals they have started to allow. It also serves as a great venue for a game of Sunday cricket for myself and a few of my mates. It has worked out pretty well, seeing that every second Girl in our group has a puppy. So the binnet's can bring their little balls of fluff and we can have a good old game of Bat and Ball.

We have been following this tradition for a while, but a year or so back it seemed to die out(the reasons for that are still unknown). Today was the first time In eon's that we managed too successfully organise and execute a full game. It's great to go back to the playground matches we used have when we were just wee boys. I must say I have a knack of ruining a friend mine's day when we play cricket. When I was a young lad dreaming of debuting for the Proteas, I worked hard at my pace bowling, maybe I worked too hard. In a Friendly game of garden cricket I ruined Gareth Steele's cricket career. Within 2 balls of Gareth's turn to bat, I managed to bowl a snorter of a delivery and thus made mince meat of his nose. This event created a vast void between Gareth and I, only in High School did we reunite our friendship. This past game of Emmarentia Cricket, I managed to reproduce this same snorter of a delivery, luckily for Mr Steele this time we were using a Slaz ball and Gareth only had to relive the event mentally and not with the same physical destruction that the first encounter included. I don't try to do it, I just seem to pull it off some how, the same way I managed to break my friends new toys when I was young. Not because I was jealous of their latest GI Joe.I did it by accident, I had a Knack for ruining their day.

 If you live in the Emmarentia area and either you or your boyfriend can bat a bit, feel free to join us, I'll try not too hit you in the face with the cricket ball, I promise. If you have a good time, you can even join us for a sundowner at Fratellis in Greenside. Arguably the best Sunday sundowners spot in Joburg. I think it's a great way to spend your Sunday afternoon.

1 comment: