Pages

Monday, May 31, 2010

Soccer City Is rather pretty

I know as much about Soccer as the Pope know's about drug dealing, I'm aware of it, I just can't give you any valid insight. I only show interest as it act's as a brilliant excuse to go out for a beer with the mates. Don't get me wrong, it is a great sport, I just was born with two left feet and my soccer playing experiences took place from the bench. This is most likely the reason why I have never shown an interest into the "great game". However, South Africa's warm-up game against Colombia gave me a small glimpse into why so many people are queuing for days just to say they were there.

For me, the 27th of May was just another Thursday. I had to teach kids to play guitar and then I was off home to study for my looming Journalism exam. It was a fateful phone call from Mr Revington that meant I was able to have my World Cup experience after all. I rushed home and retrieved my newly purchased scarf, I mean soccer fan's always have scarfs, there must be something to it. Upon arrival at the Revington's Pad we had enough time for a quick smoke and we were quickly on our way to Soccer City. After negotiating some serious traffic and numerous detours we managed to set off on Johannesburg's newly renovated Highway. I must say that the newly expanded highway is brilliant and makes a massive difference. However, even the spiffy new highway could not prepare us for what was installed for us. A massive backup of car's blocked the off ramp and with no where els to go we joined the never ending line of cars headed for the largest stadium in Africa.

At this point it was about 19:15 and with the game kicking off at 20:45 we would surely make it in time, well we hoped so anyway. The line towards the stadium produced some of the most amazing display's of patriotism that I have ever been exposed too. Every individual was either singing, blowing Vuvuzela's or making some or other gesture that showed their excitement. People were running between cars, dancing with one another and sharing drinks that they brought along. It was at this moment that I realized that If we told our forefather's about these proceedings, they would most likely have us shot. I mean who would honestly believe that white, black, pink and blue South African's could celebrate and socialize together like this, that we could share drinks, share smiles, even share their daughters. I am proud to say that I experienced this. I think it was the magical air of the proceedings that made us forget that we were hardly moving and time was ticking by. By 20:15 people were parking their cars on the side of the road running towards the stadium. We followed this lead and we quickly joined the make shift parking lot.

The closer we got to the stadium the more cramped it became. However, the pure brilliance of Soccer City against the night sky distracted us once again from the fact that we were going to miss the kick off. Soccer City is the most amazing engineering marvel I have seen. It is a monument to all of the people who said we could not do this, that we could never host the Soccer World Cup.One terrible design flaw of the stadium is the walkway bridge that elevates people over the roads and to the main entrances, It is far too small and it cannot handle enough people to allow smooth flow. It was also at the main gates that I was also exposed to the most annoying sound I have had the misfortune of hearing. At first I thought someone was strangling a baby, but it turned out to be these small horn things that were on sale. Who ever invented these things should be drawn hung and quartered. After negotiating the main gate and then turn styles we were on our way to our seats.

By the time we managed to get to our seats it was 21:05. We also missed out on the two opening goals. However, we once again found ourselves hardly being phased about this, as we were all taking in the magical atmosphere of the stadium. 75 000 South Africans all packed into one area, it was brilliant. I now understood why people created so much hype about the Soccer World Cup, why they were willing to go through so much effort to get tickets. I also felt like a fool for not getting my own tickets. South Africa eventually won the game and exiting the stadium was far easier then the chaos we first experienced. I hope this game has shown the staff of Soccer City what needs to be done in preparation for the opening ceremony, as entering the stadium was, well to be frank, a Fuck Up. I didn't care that much thou, I had an amazing time and I doubt I will ever experience something like that again. If you are going to Soccer City for the World Cup, you are in for a treat

No comments:

Post a Comment