Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dealing with the hand that you were dealt

The most difficult and mature thing anyone can do is to come to terms with one's faults. Be it physical insecurities about your appearance, being unhappy with you mental capacity, confidence problems or just being straight up insecure about yourself. I would like to think that everyone has deep down insecurities that they dwell on, because if I'm the only one then I need to go to a shrink. I find myself dwelling on things that in the larger scheme of life are irrelevant and are just a part of who I am. I find myself worrying constantly because I now show the signs of male pattern baldness, or the fact that I will have to work like a slave for the next 30+ years of my life, I worry about the fact that I drive in a shit bucket excuse for a car or because my teeth will never feature in a Colgate advert. Its hard when you realize that you don't fit the MTV or Hollywood mold. However, I am starting to see that no one does.

Yes, some people are more attractive then others and yes, some people are just smarter then others. But I am starting to realize that beneath these supposed "prime examples of humanity" that everyone has their own insecurities and faults. I have waisted many an opportunity and occasion where I choose (I am now realizing that this is a choice that you make) to focus on the negative things and not live in the now. Dealing with the hand that you were dealt in life and playing it to the best of you ability is something that is needed if you wish to succeed. I saw a tweet by Deepak Chopra , that was retweeted by Kerry McGegor that said " What will make you attractive is not working on your weak points but embracing them". I do realize that that entire statement sounds lame and clichéd but it is something that rings true with my life right now. 

Photo By Gareth Steele
I find myself often dwelling on the negative things about myself and because of this I do not display the positives. Thus, I am forcing the negative aspects about myself to be the core of my personality and not making the positive aspects my center. I mean who wants a guy with a bad hairline, bad teeth and low self esteem. But a smart, witty, somewhat attractive, driven young man can do what ever he fucking wants to. I have watched people who are so talented and beautiful just waste themselves, and transform into ugly and lifeless individuals. I don't want to waste myself. By focusing on helping others with their problems it will allow you to over come your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment